Connecticut Republicans had little to say this week amid news that President Donald Trump’s administration had frozen millions in funding that had been set aside to support services for students in Connecticut classrooms.
The Connecticut Mirror reported Monday that the Republican administration had frozen around $14 million bound for local Connecticut schools, including about $5 million that had already been awarded to Connecticut districts.
The decision, according to legislative fiscal analysts, is expected to directly impact funding promised to Connecticut classrooms in Ashford, Avon, Bloomfield, Bridgeport, Colchester, Derby, East Lyme, Hartford, Mansfield, Montville, Naugatuck, New Fairfield, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, Plainville, Putnam, Ridgefield, Waterbury and Winchester.
“These resources were designated to support the continued academic and mental health recovery of our students,” Gov. Ned Lamont said, according to the Mirror.
The unexpected education cuts from the Republican administration followed around $175 million in cuts for public health funding for Connecticut and come after most local school boards in Connecticut have already made funding requests for the next fiscal year. The change leaves communities across the state uncertain of how to pay for critical services for children.
Although the Trump administration’s cuts are applying mounting pressure on local budgets in communities across Connecticut, the coming strain on local property taxes seemed not to concern state Republicans this week.
As local education officials described “significant upheaval” caused by the cuts, Connecticut Republicans have prioritized other matters.
For instance, on Monday, Republicans rushed to the defense of Elon Musk, after the billionaire CEO and unelected Trump bureaucrat complained that anti-Tesla vandalism had cost him money. On Tuesday, Connecticut Senate Republicans staged a press conference with oil dealers in Ansonia.
State Democrats, meanwhile, have chosen to oppose the ongoing Republican cuts, challenge them in court, and support critical services wherever possible.
More than one Democrat worried publicly about the impact of the Trump cuts on local Connecticut taxpayers.
“Either Trump believes Connecticut students deserve less support or Trump believes Connecticut families deserve to pay more in property taxes,” Sen. Jan Hochadel, D-Meriden, said Tuesday. “Both are wrong, offensive and should be rejected by everyone in this state, regardless of their political affiliation.”
In a joint statement, Senate President Martin Looney and Majority Leader Bob Duff called the education cuts “reckless” and wondered why Connecticut Republicans had opted against defending their constituents.
“What’s worse is the deafening silence from Connecticut Republicans,” Looney and Duff said. “Instead of standing up for our children and schools, they are once again invisible and unwilling to criticize this latest federal fiscal attack against the most vulnerable in our state.
“We know Donald Trump doesn’t care about raising property taxes and cutting school services,” they said. “We wish Connecticut Republicans did.”